Saturday, May 23, 2015

Life's Remnants

I've decided to use this blog in a different manner: how I live without Harrison. This came after another day which will be yet another significant one since his death.

Harris is always on my mind but yesterday morning I missed him more.  Then I received a message from his sophomore English teacher; she had a paper he wrote and wanted to give it to me.  This is huge for me...

In life, we leave remnants of ourselves in places, with people, all over.  These remnants represent our personalities, dreams, desires, loves, losses and more. The longer we live, the more lives we touch, the more remnants spread throughout the world. 

Harrison left many remnants for his young age of 16.  I still can recall his vigil and all said like it was last night.  I learned more about my son than I ever expected.  Things said were deeper and more heartfelt than the typical "he was a great guy and I will miss him." Harrison made lasting, great impressions with many people who will remember him and all he was for the rest of their lives.  And they will share those memories with others because of how deep he touched them. 

Yesterday the remnant left was a powerful one which hit me hard.  In tenth grade, Harrison had an assignment in which he was to write a paper about his personal legend, what he would like to see his life become.  It spoke of honor, commitment, hard work, family, love with such a fierce passion it was obvious it was his destiny. 

Then it hit me: it is a life that would never happen. Harrison knew what he wanted in life and he didn't let others change his dreams.  He was wise beyond his years.  This young man, who wrote this paper at the age of 14, knew exactly what he wanted out of life, how to get it and was ready to put in all the hard work needed to get it. 

One day finding new remnants will come to an end. The ones from Harrison I come across are the greatest treasures he sends me in my life now.

Thank you Mrs. Lev

No comments:

Post a Comment